Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Got the new seat setup in last night! Very happy with it. It's a hand made seat by Rich Phillips, steel seat pan with black leather on the top AND bottom, and foam padding inside. Install took a bit longer than expected for only a hinge and 2 spring mounts. The Biltwell hinge is coped to match the shape of frame tubing, but where I wanted the seat to mount there wasn't much for 'round-ness' which was at the joint the hardtail met the original frame. So there was a lot of trimming on the hinge mount and I even ground notches in the frame for more surface contact when it was welded.

While I was tacking the hinge I ran out of welding wire so I flew over to Lowes. The Lincoln flux core wire made such a huge improvement. Still has some slag but nothing compared to the cheapo wire that came with the cheapo Harbor Freight welder. HF slag = nonpareil sprinkles, Lincoln slag = glitter.





No comments:

Post a Comment