Saturday, November 24, 2012

Been a while, but I have been able to spend a good amount of time on the frame. My last update showed a start at removing the neck gussets, well now they're off and the new ones are on.

Here's the neck all nice and stripped.

Old gusset versus new 3/16" steel.

New gussets are on!


Also realized that I would need a rear brake pivot mount. There are kits out there made out of tubing, but why spend the money when I have the pieces here - that's the chopper philosophy right? So with the sawzall I cut out the brake pivot from the old soft tail section.


After some trimming and grinding, I welded it right at the cross tube joint. That seemed to be the best place for it so that the pedal would be right under the foot peg that will bolt onto that bracket with two holes in it. Also had to trim the under side of the engine mount on the inside of the pivot. It was too low to be able to slide in the pivot. Now it fits like it was made that way - oh right, it was...






I also relocated the kick stand mount. Where it was originally it would have been right under the foot peg and I wouldn't be able to kick it out. In the pic below you can see I moved it back about 6".



Next on the list - put the engine back into the frame so I can line up a gas tank and coil mounts. I need to get the tank ordered at some point. To mount the coil, I want to weld nuts to the under side of the frame hidden under the tank. Also need to get a rear fender to make the fender mounts.

Going to try and get the rims and hubs to powdercoating this week too!

No comments:

Post a Comment