Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spent time on the electronics tank tonight. I was having a tough time thinking of the best way to build it - should the top come off to access the components/fuses if needed? Should the bottom come off instead? But that would make it hard to install the ignition key. Should both top and bottom be removable? Well Jenna just happened to pop her head into the garage, I vented about my troubles, and she came up with a great idea! Add a lip to the dome, that would cover the seam between the parts as well as add functionality.

I stopped at Lowes on the way home today and bought a 4 foot length of 12 gauge steel 3/4" wide. Then clamped it to my bench and just wrapped it around. Had to wrestle with it for a while working it to have the best fit and to minimize the space between it and the cylinder.


Later I will drill 2 holes through the lip that will go through the cylinder and the center plate which will hold the components. A nut will be welded onto the tabs of the center plate to make assembly very easy.



Next the bottom piece will get the same lip for the same mounting purposes.

1 comment: