Sunday, April 14, 2013

Made a ton of progress this weekend. Finished up the wiring for the electronics tank. Just need to drill out passages for the cables to go through. Also threw together the main harness that will go from the tank to the front/rear of the bike to distribute power. Now that there is wiring for power, I installed the ignition and coil. Took about 11 seconds to put on.




While thinking about fuel delivery, I had a great idea. Most OEM fuel petcocks have a 'reserve' position where in normal ON it opens a little higher into the tank then when fuel starts to run out you switch it to reserve and there is enough gas to get you to the gas station. I thought this was a great idea but how could I do that with the tank I have without buying $100 worth of valves.... Well here's what I came up with. It should work great. I'll run only the one valve with the tubing, when fuel starts running out I'll turn on the other valve without the tube that is lower in the tank and head to the gas station.


So with the ignition all wired up, fuel delivery straightened out, hm what's next? Oh right fire it up! This video was taken right after I was able to stabilize the idle. Shortly after I adjusted the idle mix screws a little more and it runs even better than in the video. 


After taking the video I get a phone call from a friend Howie saying he wants to stop by on his bike. Jim was over helping with the bike, and we decide "well, it won't take much to get the chain and clutch cable on...". So the chain goes on, Jim puts on the cable and side cover, Howie shows up, I put my foot on the kick starter and practically fall on my face because the kick starter wouldn't engage and was just free spinning. WTF?!?! After a quick spin on Howie's bike, I rig up the electric starter, engine fires up nicely, pull the clutch lever and got nothing WTF - again!!! That's what I get for rushing it and trying to take it for a spin around the yard. So here's my new project for the week.

EDIT: ok found out I put the pressure plate on the clutch wrong - oops. The pressure plate has splines (29 teeth) to mate it to the clutch housing, but also has 6 mounting holes. That means there is only 1 of 6 ways that it can go on correctly. If it is on wrong the clutch wont engage fully and always slips.  

No comments:

Post a Comment