Tuesday, January 29, 2013

OK it's been a week but lots have been completed. The engine is together, clutch side cover is sanded, and the carbs cleaned up and re-jetted as well.


I decided that at this point I would be able to get it running pretty easily without troubleshooting it in the frame. I used a scrap piece of sheet metal and mounted 2 coils and the condensers to it, then ran an extra ground from the sheet metal to the block. Next I found some larger gauge wires to run a ground from the block to the battery and from the + terminal on the battery to the starter power terminal. I also had to use the points for this setup. When the engine is in the bike I will be using an upgraded electronic trigger with a dual output coil instead of points and 2 coils. This will be much more reliable.



Once this was setup I tried over a course of several evenings to try and get it to run but it just wouldnt fire up. Very frustrated I verified over and over all the usual suspects: timing, points gap, points timing, electrical wiring, spark, carb adjustments, etc, etc.

Today at work it hit me, why wont it even sput if I am getting fuel and spark with good timing??? Well if the points shaft is off 180* then the left coil will spark on the right cylinders timing (and right to left). So I got home tonight and checked the points advance lobe position at TDC......

WRONG

RIGHT!

Things were now looking good. So I threw the tank on top of the trash can and hooked up the fuel. Took a few cranks to get fuel flowing through the carbs, 2 putts and BAM running like a champ!!! It pops a bit because the spark is a little intermittent, the new trigger won't do that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment