Thursday, December 27, 2012

Another fender update. I'm so glad I figured out how I want to mount this thing, it's been driving me crazy trying to do something a little different than the norm but still structurally sound.

The fender is also cut to length, and the duck tail is ground to the shape I want.


Put the engine and chain in so that I will have the spacing between the fender and tire that i want. It is now ready for the mounts. For the lower mounts I'm going to cut two 1" lengths of 1" angle iron. They will be welded onto the lower cross tube side by side on either side of the fender rib as feet against the fender. I picked up a bunch of leather washers so they will go between the feet and the fender for as a damper.

The upper fender mounts usually are struts made from round stock from the axle plate up to the end of the fender. I'm going to try and not use fender struts, but instead weld tabs on the upper frame on each side of the fender with 1.5" steel spacers and of course leather washers between the fender and the spacer. I'm pretty excited by this design, hopefully the fender doesn't bounce around (too much). If it does I guess I will just throw on some additional fender struts. I am noticing the rib in the center adds some great additional structure to the fender.



No comments:

Post a Comment